"Sometimes I feel like if you watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you - sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever."
~ Delirium By Lauren Oliver

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sales Pitch by Phlip K Dick

The short story Sales Pitch by Philip K. Dick relates to our class definition of science fiction because it brings the idea of robots, space travel and working on different planets into a possible future. We as humans want to dream up possiblies such as the 'fasrad' in this story to make life easy and less work. But you then have to ask yourself, if the robots are doing everything, why can't you do it? What is left to give your life meaning?
Phillip K. Dick uses extrapolation of current trends and technology when he envisions sales robots, police rockets, thoughtwave scanners, tractor  beams, and retinal vidscreens.
I kind of like this piece, I mean it's not my absolute favorite but it's enjoyable, thought-provoking and a good read. It reminds me of iRobot and how those robots are designed to take care of humans. When I picture the city where they live in in this story, I picture a city from iRobot.

No comments:

Post a Comment