"Sometimes I feel like if you watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you - sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever."
~ Delirium By Lauren Oliver

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homelanding and Cause and Effect

In both the short story Homelanding by Margaret Atwood and the Star Trek episode Cause and Effect, I saw elements of science fiction.  First in Homelanding the story is being told by someone describing human beings to someone from another planet, and since we have not discovered life on other planets yet it is considered sci-fi. Then, in the Star Trek episode first of all they were flying in space, there was a temporal causality loop that they were stuck in; all of which have not been proven but are possible and that's what makes it sci-fi.
I think these pieces were picked as our introduction to sci-fi because they are both a really good examples of stories that are not easily confused with fantasy. Both contain elements of science and speculation.  Both have something to say about how these hypothetical situations also reveal something about humanity.
Yes, These pieces hold up to my definition of science fiction.
I liked both of these pieces, Homelanding was my favorite because it talked about things that are minor and things we see everyday and at the same time it gave me a new point of view. If someone from another planet asked me what was unique to life on my planet I would have probably given the same answer as Margaret; I would look at the big picture and tell them what we experience every day. Also I liked the Star Trek episode because time has always fascinated me; and it was well put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment