"Sometimes I feel like if you watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you - sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever."
~ Delirium By Lauren Oliver

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ender's Game #1

In my sci-fi class we have begun to read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I really like this book so far, the way it is writen and how young the main character, Ender, is. It makes you think differently and makes you pay attention. Since Ender is only six in the beginning of the book, you underestimate him; and when you get into the book, you start to see him not older or bigger, but for what he really is: a smart kid who knows when he is being lying to and who is able to win against older kids just becasue he knows how to sit back, watch and observe.
I also enjoy this book it makes me laugh and keeps me guessing what Ender will think of next. The way he strategizes and watches everyone fascinates me and reminds me of myself. I would rather sit back and watch how others act then try and join them, faking excitment.
In the first five chapters I have noticed that everyone is afraid of these things called buggers and it's not only because they are trying to kill the human race but because they are different. Xenophobia  means a fear of strangers or foreigners or that which is strange. So yeah, there is a lot of xenopobia going on here. I am curious to see if it is justified.
Ender wants to be a leader but doesn't know that he already is one. Leaders are not people who tell others what to do or get a group together just to leave someone out. Leaders fight back when its needed and only respond when being provoked. When they have a message for you they won't hand it to you on a silver platter, but they won't make you work for it either.
The intelligence that this kid has is amazing, they way he sees things and watches them and the questions he asks, so far beyond what a six year old should be deeply thinking about.
This book definitely fits our class definition of science fiction because this very well could happen. Many of the extrapolations, such as the use of video games for military training, have already come true. This society could very well become our present. This is no fantasy story.

No comments:

Post a Comment